20101124

melog-20101124.log

woo-hoo! i don't work again until monday!

woo-hoo!

i always like to commemorate the day before thanksgiving as jade empire day. that's the day i discovered the game laying around at my mom's house in my brother's computer room. i really enjoyed that game.

my wife took my son out of town that year and i was at home alone. i didn't want to stay at home by myself. you know, an "idle mind . . . " and all that jazz. so, i spent the evening with my mom after work.

after everyone started to settle down for the evening at my mom's house, i started sifting through my brother's xbox games. he's known for buying a game and never even opening it or playing it.

ever.

so, i thought i'd give some of them a spin. i pop in a game, play for five minutes, and throw it to the side. i even rejected jade empire at first.

but, nothing else seemed all that engaging. so, i popped it back in once more, just to give it more of a chance.

before it knew it, my mom was peeping in on me at 06:30 the next morning.

you're still here?? i thought you went home. you've been up all night???

she should know me by now. why was she so surprised?

i ran across that game just when i was starting to open up in a lot of other ways. and i felt so much like the main character in the game-- following a path with many choices before me, but not really sure why i was even on that path, to begin with.

and just as the main character eventually re-evaluated everything once thought to be true, i found myself doing that with my life for real.

and, i also became acquainted with the wuxia genera and found that i love it!

anyhow, i always think about jade empire around this time of year. i loved the music, the imagery, the story line, and feeling like a kung fu master-- even though it's all under false pretenses.

but, there was nothing false about looking inward at myself and all that i though i knew about what i believed and was taught all my life. that was turned upside down, too. and i started a personal, intellectual adventure of my own.

have a happy thanksgiving!

and, have a happy jade empire day, too.

time to head for the house and spend some time with the family.

and watch claymore with my wife, too.

i gotta say-- can't beat having a wife that will watch shows with you like the sci-fi channel's battlestar galactica, classic star trek, and claymore.

No comments: