20110818

melog-20110818.log.0

yesterday my daughter and i had a peculiar conversation:

daughter: daddy . . . are you my step-dad? (six years old, been in 1st grade for only one week)
me: do you even know what a "step-dad" is?
daughter: yeah. a step-dad is a dad who takes care of someone else's child.
me: well . . . how do you think you can find the answer without asking me?
daughter: i know . . . i can call grandma!

so, we took the phone and called grandma (my mother).

grandma: hello? (as she answers the phone)
daughter: (totally skips the greeting) is daddy my step-dad?
grandma: what?!?!

my daughter felt confident that "grandma" was actually *my* mom and therefore, i was her *dad* and not her step-dad.

i asked my wife if she overheard.

"yeah", was my wife's response. "she asked me the same question before she came in there and asked you".

apparently my wife tried to fool our daughter by saying that she was indeed her step-mom, but my daughter didn't believe that for a second.

funny that she had her doubts about me.

No comments: