20110318

melog-20110318.log

ah. finally. relaxation.

it's nice.

really nice.

sat on the couch and read through the latest issue of the humanist magazine. piddled around on facebook with my nifty samsung galaxy android phone. went out for steak, and took my wife and kids along.

now, i'm home again about to watch a dvd. right now, life is good.

sunday will start week 12 of my exercise program. this will be a mile stone so to speak. i will stop and evaluate my progress, my strengths, and weaknesses as i move into week thirteen.

i've still got a long ways to go and i've still got a pot belly. but, it's much smaller and i'm fitting into clothes that i couldn't get into before. i'm slimming down and i'm also feeling stronger and i can see how exercise has helped me stay resilient during tough moments in these past few weeks. physical strength can sometimes supplement mental strength.

i wish i could take this evening and bottle it; i'd be rich!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, there's such a thing as Humanist Magazine? Do link!

Uruk said...

Visit: www.americanhumanist.org to see the AmericanHumanist Association's website. They feature the magazine on that page. The link to the magazine seems dead at the time I'm posting this, but I figure it's just a temporary glitch. The magazine link is: www.thehumanist.org

I found it at the local Barns & Noble. It was on the shelf for a while then vanished. Finally returned again this month and I snagged it. I thought the Jesusland police had put a sanction on that tittle or something. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Jesusland police...

I'm all too familiar with those powers that be, the ones who make sure the only books in the Biology section are about botany and disproving evolution... there wasn't a book by Darwin, Sagan, or Dawkins in the first bookstore I went to in the belt (GoHastings), and it took me twenty minutes to gather the nerve to actually ask someone why that section was so scant. Now in NC, let's just say I still don't get much use out of my membership card. I did strike up a conversation in the first one with one of the sales people whom I think was a closet free thinker; she told me it's a matter of supply, demand, and protest.

But thanks for the link!

Uruk said...

In the province of Jesusland where I live, you'll find an odd dichotomy. You can find solid literature and works of freethinkers and works that call religion into question anywhere.

But, people (in general) just ignore it's existence and won't read it.

In the latest of issue The Humanist there is an interesting interview of a primatologist who recently wrote a book about how the family structure and sexual relationships of homo sapiens had evolved due to changes in how we gathered food over the years. I ended up snagging the book and will try to read it soon.

Another good primatology book is The Ape in the Corner Office. I was so oblivious to the cause for all the stupid things people sometimes did (including myself) in the office or just while out and about, until I read that book.

I've been pondering your last post on your blog, by the way. I may comment after it's soaked in a bit.

Uruk said...

Oh snap, my links were screwed up. Not sure what was up with that.

I'll try again here for the record, though you've probably already figured out how to get to the pages:

American Humanist Association

and

The Humanist Magazine

Sorry about the mix-up.